Important AnnouncementsAll Important Announcements
Fun in the Sun on Fun Day
On Friday June 5th Union Elementary students had a blast celebrating Fun Day with all of their classmates! Put together by our wonderful PTO, Fun Day consisted of a variety of indoor and outdoor games and activities, including a scooter race where students had to balance pizza boxes, tug of war competitions, “Singin’ in the Rain” musical chairs, and even a dance party complete with a DJ and bubble machine!
Students really enjoyed each activity, but most students would tell you that one activity was definitely their favorite.
“The firetruck was the best part!” says fourth grader Katelynn Rapp. “The firehose was spraying water everywhere! It was just like a waterfall, and even if you didn’t want to get wet, it was hard to escape it!”
After all of the outdoor festivities were over students enjoyed a sweet treat from Kona Ice and watched a movie in their classroom. Fun Day was a fantastic send off to a great year. Thanks very much to Union Elementary PTO for all of their hard work in organizing such a great event!Full Story
Union Elementary vs. Australian Schools
As we are coming to the end of our year as second graders, we were wondering if the students in our country of Australia were doing the same things we are. We are working on our final math assessment and MClass assessment for the year. How are our schools different? Below are a few examples of the differences.
- Union Elementary students go to school for 180 days.
- Students in Australia go to school 200 days.
- Union Elementary students go to school from mid August to early June.
- Students in Australia go to school from late January to mid December.
- Union Elementary students typically go to school from 7:15am to 2:00pm.
- Students in Australia typically go to school from 9:00am to 3:30pm.
- Union Elementary students attend grades Kindergarten through 12th grade.
- Students in Australia attend grades Kindergarten through 11th grade.
- In America elementary schools are Kindergarten through 5th grade, middle schools are 6th through 8th grade and high schools are 9th through 12 grade.
- In Australia primary schools are Kindergarten through 6th grade and secondary schools are 7th through 12th grade.
- Union Elementary students have a summer break from early June to mid August.
- Students in Australia have a summer break from mid December to late January.
In our studies we found a big difference in the two schools. We came to the conclusion that we prefer our school schedule and breaks to that of Australia. HOPE EVERYONE HAS A GREAT SUMMER BREAK!!!! DON’T FORGET TO READ READ READ!!!Full Story